Prepping for your Family Portraits
- Arrive Early – if you show up late or not ready it is less time that you have in front of the camera
- Under no circumstances is cropping an image to hide the watermark allowed.
- Scanning or taking a photograph of your images is copyright infringement and punishable by law.
- Situations when we would reschedule your shoot:
- If the temperature is supposed to be 40℉ or below OR 80℉ and above (Nobody wants to freeze or sweat their tushes off).
- If there is at least a 30% chance of precipitation.
One of the most common questions we get is “Where will we shoot? Do you pick or do we?” The location of the shoot can add a whole lot of meaning and fun to your photos! The images will be focused on you, but a great background is a key component to making a fabulous photo. In general, we shoot in either a natural or an urban location.
- Natural spots are gorgeous open fields, parks, backyards, gardens, etc. They work well for playing and focusing on each other. The best time of day to shoot in this type of setting is just before sunset so we can get some magical golden light!
Natural locations are simple and bring all the attention to the happy people in the image.
- Urban spots are cool alleyways and buildings. They have great color, texture and variety. We can typically shoot in urban spots any time of day if there is a lot of covered area to provide shade.
Urban locations give a more modern look to your photos.
- Bring multiple outfits (you never know when a tragic spill will strike).
- Bring snacks and a favorite toy just in case your little humans need some comforting.
- Clean, clean, clean – clean nails, clean hair, wipe away eye boogers, clean feet (sandals on kids = black feet!), wipe away boogie noses. The cleaner the kiddo, the better their photos will turn out.
- If your child is still in diapers or pull-ups, bring extras and make sure to tuck them in.
- If your child is still of napping age, make sure they nap before the shoot.
- It is perfectly okay to bring bribes to a photo shoot – given a stage and being the center of attention, it’s like our children know exactly when to act their worst. Some cereal, gummies or other candy that won’t stain teeth can help a short photo shoot go by smoothly.
- Avoid colorful drinks or lollipops within 24 hours of your shoot – don’t let them eat or drink anything that will stain their face, teeth or mouths.
There are no “rules” when it comes to what to wear for your portraits, but we have suggested a few guidelines to help you pick out an outfit that compliments you and your personality.
JessFoto has always asked for at least 24 hours notice when canceling and/or rescheduling a photo shoot. Although we completely understand that emergencies can arise, we know most of our clients honor our time and this policy.
NO SHOWS will be charged 100% of the missed session prior to booking another session at JessFoto. If there is a second occurrence we will sadly no longer be able to see you as a client.
Failure to reschedule a session 24 hours prior to the shoot will result in being charged 50% of the session fee. If you should fail to honor this more than three times we will no longer be able to book you at JessFoto.
If rescheduling is necessary due to weather (rain, snow, excessive heat and/or humidity) this is exempt from penalties. All sessions must be paid for upon booking to reserve the time slot in the calendar.
We hope that our clients understand that our time, like yours, is valuable and with too many cancelled/rescheduled sessions our business suffers. Please feel free to direct any questions, comments, or concerns to Lauren. Thank you!
The most common feedback we receive after a shoot with a family that has never done a session with JessFoto before is, “That was actually FUN!” If you have never met Jess, come prepared to be entertained. Some days Erin and I think that she should be a stand-up comedian on the side. The typical family shoot lasts about an hour. Jess will guide you and mold you into being a family of magazine models. Now that you are at the session, let Jess do what she does best!
What do you mean our pictures aren’t immediately ready after the shoot? This is when the term “behind-the-scenes” really comes into play. We are perfectionists – we want to make sure that all of your images are looking top-notch. Once Jess gets home, she uploads your images to her computer, backs them up in three places (just to be safe), culls through the 952 photos she has taken to get it to a more manageable number (100-300), and edits/retouches all of the photos individually.
You can expect to receive a link to view your uploaded gallery via email within one week of your photo shoot. If you have purchased the rights to the photos, you will be able to immediately download the images. If you would like to purchase prints, gallery blocks, canvases, etc. you will have the option to do so when viewing your online gallery.